Toby Melissa C. Monsod
- Public Economics, Institutions, Housing, Urban and Regional Economics
Teaching, Research, and Other Positions (partial list)
- Vice-Chairman, Department of Economics and Chair, Undergraduate Studies, May 2010 to the present
- Assistant Professor, UPSE, May 2008 to September 2013
- Coordinator, Philippine Human Development Network, June 2004 – November 2005; April 2009 to the present
- Consultant, Civil Service Commission, 2004 – 2006
- Assistance Prof. Lecturer, De La Salle University, 2002-2003
- Assistant Secretary of Trade and Industry and Chief of Staff, Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), 2000-2002
- Secretary General/Deputy Secretary General, Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC), 1998-1999
- Lecturer, UPSE, 1998/1999
Selected Papers and Publications
- “Addressing the urban housing problem: does subsidizing homeownership best meet the housing needs of urban squatter households?” Asian Economic Papers Fall 2011, Vol. 10, No. 3: 124–144. (http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/ASEP_a_00096)
- “Is Government really solving the housing problem?” UPSE Discussion Paper DP 2011-04. (http://www.econ.upd.edu.ph/dp/index.php/dp/article/viewFile/672/137)
- “Institutions, politics and human development”, with Emmanuel de Dios. Philippine Human Development Report 2008/2009. Human Development Network 2009. (Awardee: 2011 NAST Outstanding Book Award) (http://hdn.org.ph/forthcoming-philippine-human-development-report-institutions-and-politics)
- “The Philippine Bureaucracy: Incentive structures and implications for performance” HDN Discussion Paper Series No. 4, PHDR Issue 2008/2009. (http://hdn.org.ph/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/dp04_monsod.pdf)
- Peace, Human Security and Human Development in the Philippines” , co-editor, Philippine Human Development Report 2005, Human Development Network, 2005. (Awardee: 2007 NAST Outstanding Book and/or Monograph Award) (http://hdn.org.ph/2005-philippine-human-development-report-peace-human-security-and-human-development/)
- “Philippines Progress Towards the Millennium Development Goals (MDG): geographical and political correlates of sub-national outcomes”, with Solita C. Monsod and Geoffrey Ducanes, Journal of Human Development, Vol. 5 No. 1 March 2004. (http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14649880310001660238)
- “International and Intra-national Comparisons of Philippine Poverty”, with Solita C. Monsod, in Causes of Poverty, Myths, Facts & Policies (A Philippines Study), Balisacan & Fujisaki, Eds. University of the Philippines Press, 1999.
- “International and Intra-national Comparisons of Philippine Poverty”, with Solita C. Monsod, in Growth, Poverty and Income Inequality in the Philippines, Balisacan & Fujisaki, Eds. Institute for Developing Economies (IDE), Tokyo, 1998.
- Conceptual Framework for the Development of an Integrated Poverty Monitoring and Indicators System, co-author with Dr. Arsenio Balisacan, et. al. NEDA and UNDP Manila, 1998.
- “Social Reform: Doable But Not Done?” in The State and The Market: Essays on a Socially Oriented Philippine Economy, Filomena Sta. Ana, Ed. , Action for Economic Reforms, 1998.
View the CV here.