Arsenio M. Balisacan
- Agricultural and Resource Economics, Development Economics, Applied Welfare Economics
Teaching, Research, and Other Positions (partial list)
- Chairperson, Philippine Competition Commission, January 2016-present
- Socio-Economic Planning Secretary, National Economic Development Authority, 2012-January 2016
- Dean, School of Economics, University of the Philippines Diliman, 2010-2012
- Executive Director, Philippine Center for Economic Development, 2010-2012
- Adjunct Professor, Australian National University, 2011-present
- Academician, National Academy of Science and Technology, 2008-present
- Professor of Economics, University of the Philippines Diliman, 1995-present
- Director (Chief Executive), Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study & Research in Agriculture (SEARCA), 2003-2009
- Undersecretary for Policy and Planning, Department of Agriculture, Philippines, 2000-2001, 2003
- Officer-in-Charge, Agricultural Credit and Policy Council, 2000- 2001
- Assistant Professor of Economics, University of the Philippines Los Banos, 1987-1988
- Economist, World Bank, Washington, D.C., 1986-1987
- Research Fellow, East-West Center, Honolulu, 1985-1986
- President, Asian Society of Agricultural Economists, 2011-2013
- President, Human Development Network (Philippines), 2003-2009, 2012-
- Executive Secretary, Southeast Asian University Consortium for Graduate Education in Agriculture and Natural Resources, 2003-2009.
- President, Philippine Economic Society, 2006
- Editor, Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development (an internationally refereed journal), 2004-present
- Balisacan, A.M., U. Chakravorty, and M.V. Ravago (eds.), Sustainable Economic Development: Resources, Environment, and Institutions. US and UK: Elsevier Inc., 2015.
- Roumasset, J., K. Burnett, and A.M. Balisacan (eds.), Sustainability Science for Watershed Landscapes. Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies; Los Baños, Philippines: SEARCA, 2010.
- Fuwa, N., A.M. Balisacan, and F. Bresciani, “In Search of a Strategy for Making Growth More Pro-Poor in the Philippines”, Asian Economic Papers , Vol. 14, No. 1, Winter/Spring 2015, pp. 202-226
- Balisacan, A.M., “The Growth-Poverty Nexus: Multidimensional Poverty in the Philippines” in Sustainable Economic Development: Resources, Environment, and Institutions, eds. A.M. Balisacan, U. Chakravorty, and M.V. Ravago. US and UK: Elsevier Inc., 2015, pp. 445-468.
- Balisacan, A.M., U. Chakravorty, and M.V. Ravago, “The Principles and Practice of Sustainable Economic Development: Overview and Synthesis” in Sustainable Economic Development: Resources, Environment, and Institutions, eds. A.M. Balisacan, U. Chakravorty, and M.V. Ravago. US and UK: Elsevier Inc., 2015, pp. 3-10.
- Balisacan, A.M. and H. Hill (eds.), The Dynamics of Regional Development: The Philippines in East Asia. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar, 2007.
- Balisacan, A.M. and N. Fuwa (eds.), Reasserting the Rural Development Agenda: Lessons Learned and Emerging Challenges in Asia. Singapore, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 2007.
- Balisacan, A.M. and H. Hill (eds.), The Philippine Economy: Development, Policies, and Challenges. New York: Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Balisacan, A.M., Poverty, Urbanization, and Development Policy: A Philippine Perspective. Quezon City: University of the Philippines Press, 1994.
- Balisacan, A.M., “MDGs in the Philippines: Setting the Poverty Scores Right and Achieving the Targets,” Philippine Review of Economics 47 (December 2010): 1-20.
- Balisacan, A.M., S. Piza, D. Mapa, C.A. Santos, and D. Odra, “The Philippine Economy and Poverty during the Global Economic Crisis,” Philippine Review of Economics 47 (June 2010): 1-37.
- Balisacan, A.M., H. Hill, and S.F. Piza, “Spatial Disparities and Development Policy in the Philippines,” in Reshaping Economic Geography in East Asia, ed. Yukon Huang and Alessandro Magnoli Bocchi. Washington, D.C.: World Bank, East Asia Companion Volume to the World Development Report 2009.
- Balisacan, A.M., H. Hill, and S.F. Piza, “Regional Development Dynamics and Decentralization in the Philippines: Ten Lessons from a ‘Fast Starter’,” ASEAN Economic Bulletin 25 (2008): 293–315.
- Balisacan, A.M. and N. Fuwa, “Going Beyond Cross-Country Averages: Growth, Inequality and Poverty Reduction in the Philippines,” World Development 32 (November 2004): 1891-1907.
- Balisacan, A.M. and N. Fuwa, “Growth, Inequality, and Politics Revisited: A Developing-Country Case”, Economics Letters 79 (April 2003): 53-58.
- Balisacan, A.M., E.M. Pernia, and A. Asra, “Revisiting Growth and Poverty Reduction in Indonesia: What Do Subnational Data Show?” Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies 39 (December 2003): 331–353.
- Balisacan, A.M. and E. Pernia, “The Rural Road to Poverty Reduction: Some Lessons from the Philippine Experience,” Journal of Asian and African Studies 37 (July 2002): 147-167.
- Balisacan, A.M., “Growth, Redistribution, and Poverty: Is the Philippines an Exception to the Standard Asian Story?” Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy 5 (1/2, 2000): 125-140.
- Balisacan, A.M., “Policy Reforms and Agricultural Development in the Philippines,” ASEAN Economic Bulletin 15 (April 1998): 77-89.
- Balisacan, A.M., “Anatomy of Poverty during Adjustment: The Case of the Philippines,” Economic Development and Cultural Change 44 (October 1995): 33-62.
- Balisacan, A.M., “Urban Poverty in the Philippines: Nature, Causes, and Policy Measures,” Asian Development Review 12 (1994): 117-152.
- Balisacan, A.M., “Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-farm Employment, and Rural Poverty in the Philippines,” Economic Development and Cultural Change 41 (April 1993): 533-562.
- Balisacan, A.M., “Rural Poverty in the Philippines: Incidence, Determinants and Policies,” Asian Development Review 10 (1992): 125-163.
- Balisacan, A.M., and J.A. Roumasset, “Public Choice of Economic Policy: The Growth of Agricultural Protection,” Review of World Economics 123 (2, June 1987): 232-248.
View the CV here.